[governance] Social networking and privacy

Veni Markovski veni at veni.com
Fri Oct 12 05:50:03 EDT 2007

Dan, Karl,
I am sorry about the confusion. What you say, I agree - private data like
SSN, bank accounts, user names and passwords, should not be made public.
Every time it's made public, I feel there's more to be done on the security,
and on the legal framework (e..g in Bulgaria we did a pretty modern Computer
crimes Chapter in the Penal Code, and ISOC-Bulgaria participated actively in
the drafting).

I also agree with Karl that teaching should be in the minds of parents, who
allow their kids to get online.

But we are talking about two different types of things - teaching one how to
protect themselves is different from letting them use social networking
sites. I believe that publishing normal data, that otherwise is known to the
world, is fine. Perhaps we should follow the principle, "the truth, always
the truth, nothing but the truth, but never the whole truth".

Being public also has some positive sides; if you can prove what you've been
doing at every moment /day, week, etc./, even if someone steals your
identity, it may be easier to make your case if you end up in trouble
because of someone else's actions.

Thanks for the positive discussion - it was useful to hear you both!

Veni