[governance] Our workshop

Vittorio Bertola vb at bertola.eu
Mon Oct 8 18:05:50 EDT 2007

All,

this is to report about the status of the organizing process for the
"Fulfilling the mandate of the IGF" workshop that the IGC is
co-sponsoring, about the mandate of the IGF itself, which is now
scheduled for the morning of the last day.

The coordinators took care of the process, with the support of a few
people to double-check our ideas and help in making contacts and other
practical issues.

We think that a balanced slate of panelists would include two
governmental people - one from the North and one from the South -, two
from the business/technical community, and two from civil society; plus
one of us as chair.

For what regards governments, we could have Everton Lucero from Brazil,
and we are still waiting for confirmation about the Northern gov rep.
For the private sector, we will have someone from ISOC - either Lynn St.
Amour or Matthew Shears - and Ayesha Hassan from ICC (still to be
finally confirmed). For civil society, after a lot of discussion, we
suggest Parminder and Karen Banks. To chair the meeting, we'd like to
have Bill Drake, as the person who has been proposing and pushing this
workshop since the beginning.

Of course the civil society slate could be much bigger, if only we
included all the people who cared about the mandate of the IGF or who
had proposals about it. My take is that we should try to limit the
presentations by the panelists, and ensure that at least half of the
available time is devoted to open discussion with the audience. In any
case, suggestions are welcome, and we might add one more civil society
speaker, though I see it difficult to alter the balance among the
stakeholder groups.

Comments are welcome - we are supposed to submit the final list by
Wednesday, but we could have a bit more time if necessary.

Regards,
--
vb.                   Vittorio Bertola - vb [a] bertola.eu   <--------
-------->  finally with a new website at http://bertola.eu/  <--------