[governance] Mailing list shorthand

Kieren McCarthy kierenmccarthy at gmail.com
Sat Oct 6 17:08:37 EDT 2007

I was going to ask if there are any rules of behaviour for this list, but
then thought better of it.

Then I thought I might propose some. And definitely thought better of that.

So instead I have come up with a list of useful shorthand acronyms that
could be used in place of silence. Excellence in use to be rewarded by a
free drink from ICANN's general manager of public participation at an ICANN
meeting of your choice.

AH - Ad Hominum attack. A list favourite and an excellent way of avoiding
substantive discussion.

BS - Bait Served. To help highlight when someone is being specifically
provoked into an angry response.

BT - Bait Taken. When someone is daft enough to respond to the BS.

CA - Circular Argument. For those emails that cover the same issue with the
same points all over again.

CT - Conspiracy Theory. For use when someone offers dark mutterings without
a drop of factual evidence.

NIA - Not ICANN Again. For when it all gets too much.

NAI - North American Ideology. Not to be confused with NIA. Particular
useful when issues of access arise.

UN - Utter Nonsense. Not to be confused with the United Nations, which
breeds it own particular type of nonsense.

WT - Wasting Time. When a decision is approaching deadline and the list goes
off on a three-day tangent.

I would like to start off the process by officially labeling this message
"BS".

Kieren

     governance at lists.cpsr.org