[governance] RE: Human rights and new gTLDs

Dan Krimm dan at musicunbound.com
Fri Oct 5 16:43:44 EDT 2007

Okay, well, then, what about the rest of the points I made below under the
assumption that the gTLD space is going to be expanded?  I don't see you
disagreeing with the rest of my discussion, which is the important part.

I'm not sure what "future issues" you wish to "pre-empt" but it may be that
some important future issues (such as balancing various competing human
rights that will remain systematically in conflict forever) simply cannot
be pre-empted without doing massive structural injustice to legitimate
political authority and processes.

Sometimes a community (including a broad world community) *needs* to work
through difficult issues in a way that is politically broadly accountable,
rather than trying to avoid confronting (excuse me, "pre-empt") the issues
in the back rooms.

The problem is that the "issues" can *not* really be pre-empted.  They
would simply be decided by fiat in a way that allows the most powerful back
room participants to have their way without inconvenient obstruction by
weaker stakeholders with contrasting interests.

What is pre-empted is a process for ensuring independently accountable
justice.  The issues themselves are eternal and can never be pre-empted per
se.

Dan

     governance at lists.cpsr.org