[governance] RE: Human rights and new gTLDs

Kieren McCarthy kierenmccarthy at gmail.com
Fri Oct 5 16:36:44 EDT 2007

I'm with you Brett but sometimes policy and technical are two sides of the
same coin.

Re: registry failure.

The RegisterFly collapse was not the first time - in fact it was far from
the first time - that a registrar had failed. But the system in place had
always worked previously - namely that the company would sell its data to
another registrar.

The problem was that the system relied on the registrar behaving in a
certain way. When it didn't, suddenly there was no method by which it could
be made to behave in a reasonable and responsible manner, and there was no
way for anyone to step in and take its records off its hands.

If a registry goes haywire - who can fix it without the explicit help and
consent of the company that has gone haywire? And yet can you imagine
VeriSign agreeing to let *anyone* ever be allowed to take .com off its
hands?

(I actually think you could draw up a series of events that VeriSign could
agree to that would provide the authority to someone - for the simple reason
that they know that the situation would never happen.)

The other big problem that you have raised is the concept of the expectation
of registry renewal.

The .pro registry is a case in point - it got the contract under one plan
but then changed that plan. The UPU is currently asking for a radical
alteration in its initial plans for .post - the plans under which it was
granted the registry.

What if someone gets a registry under a certain plan and then sells up when
a different company sees a different way of running it to make money. What
if we end up with registry contracts being sold on the open market in the
same way you can purchase an ICANN-accredited registrar company?

Now, I am sure that somewhere someone is having and has had these
conversations but I've not heard them. And if I haven't heard them, they're
not being had widely enough.

Kieren