[governance] For you as an Internet user, what is a "Critical Internet resource"?

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Fri Oct 5 13:57:32 EDT 2007

On 10/5/07, Milton L Mueller <mueller at syr.edu> wrote:

> [...]

Sorry, Milton, I was just messin with ya, the "global routing table"
is merely a phrase used in routing discussions. There really is no
such animal.  No one CAN have policy authority over something that
exists in peoples heads as an abstract concept.

> >If so, which
> >organisation(s) would have policy authority over them?
>
> Currently, Tier one ISPs make those decisions in an autonomous,
> self-regulatory manner.

See above, whoever told you that one was pulling your leg m8.

Network operators that have a block of IP space either pay their
upstream (not neccesarily a Tier1) to route the space for them or they
do it themselves via an ASN.

These folk determine their own routing policies (who they peer with,
what routes they "listen to", etc).   I for one wouldn't like a
"topdown" system to replace this "bottomup" one.

As an aside, these routes are registered in an Internet Routing
Registry (sometimes an RIR, sometimes not). IRRs however do NOT
determine who gets a "routing slot".

 > Maybe that is the best policy, maybe it isn't.
> We need to understand the process, the consequences and the alternatives
> better.
>
> > Are you
> >suggesting that slots themselves should be somehow
> >allocated/assigned/leased/sold??
>
> If that would improve the efficiency of routing and/or the stability of
> the system, it is something that should be explored.

I can see a dystopia where efficiency and stability are increased by
hyper-aggregation.
Your IPv6 geo idea would fit neatly in this fictional world.  At this
point however, it would be closing the barn door after the horse has
already escaped, due to the pressure of folk requiring IPv6 PI, (thus
creating an IPv6 "swamp").

No one, including
> me, has a well-defined policy on this that they are peddling at the
> moment.

Thank $Deity for small favors, routing is hard, sBGP will be even
harder.  Adding some Layer 9 fluff on the routing system might be the
straw that breaks the camel's back.

--
Cheers,

McTim