[governance] RE: Human rights and new gTLDs

Kieren McCarthy kierenmccarthy at gmail.com
Fri Oct 5 13:31:02 EDT 2007

I've been meaning to respond to Wolfgang's (as ever) insightful overview on
this issue of new gTLDs for a week.

Wolfgang is right of course. Different societies have conflicting values -
and they hold them for very good reasons, and they are deeply ingrained.

I also agree that global government and the creation of hundreds of
different of new gTLDs would provide the answers to the problems. But I just
don't think either will happen.

I am writing this sitting in an OECD meeting where 33 governments are
reviewing and discussing an upcoming June 2008 conference that hopes to
provide a forward-looking declaration about the Internet economy.

It is surprisingly collegial but at the same time there is no way that even
those that agree strongly with one another are going to decide their laws
together.

Even in the closest relationships, there are subtleties of disagreement and
it is often the small differences that cause the greatest disagreement.

In fact, the self-proclaimed World's Funniest Religious Joke covers that
clearly:

------------------

I was walking along when I saw a man standing on a bridge getting ready to
jump. I tried to find a reason to dissuade him, and asked :

Are you religious? Yes, he replied. Great, so am I

Christian or Buddhist? Christian, he said.

Episcopalian or Baptist? Baptist, he responded.

Baptist Church of God, or Baptist Church of The Lord? Baptist Church of God.

Are you Original Baptist Church of God or Reformed Baptist Church of God?
Reformed Baptist Church of God.

Are you Reformed Baptist Church of God Reformation 1879 or Reformed Baptist
Church of God Reformation 1915? Reformed Baptist Church of God Reformation
1915, was the answer.

Die heretic scum, I said. And pushed him off.

------------------

I think that could also be held to be true on occasion with the technical
community.

But with respect to the issue of new gTLDs.

I don't think people have considered sufficiently the very real risk that a
large expansion in the number of gTLDs could have on broader confidence in
the Internet itself.

When RegisterFly failed, it undermined the confidence that many of its
customers had in what they probably didn't even know is called the domain
name system. They couldn't understand how it could happen. They had paid
money for their domain and built websites on them and then suddenly, it
vanished. And in some cases, they permanently lost their domains - through
no fault of their own.

This was a single registrar. And it should be noted that the problem was
significant because it had so many customers. And the reason it has so many
customers was because it charged less than everyone else. And because it has
more customers and less money, its systems were not as robust as they needed
to be.

When the number of gTLDs is expanded, it greatly increases the chance of a
registry failing. The more there are, the larger this risk becomes. When a
registry does fail, it will impact not one but a whole range of registrars -
and I don't think people has quite thought through how much that may damage
confidence in the actual domain name system itself.

What if the registry that fails does so because it has gone for the
lowest-cost model - and so as a result it has a very large number of domains
registered under it (and so a very large number of people)?

What if that registry is .baby? Tens of thousands of young couples lose
their beloved websites and the digital pictures of their child they stored
there. That damages their confidence not in .baby but in the Internet. How
did they know they can trust a domain or website again?

Perhaps more dangerous is the fact that the more gTLDs there are, the
greater the chances that an entire registry goes AWOL. That the company that
runs .mail decides to sell up to the spammers - and everyone suffers from a
massive increase in spam.

What if sloppy security lets a phisher hack into the .money TLD?

What happens when domain name tasters take over every misspelled combination
of .com as a registry? And then cover every page with who pays the most -
quite probably porn.

What if all these things happen at the same time? Someone loses the website
they built and all their photos; the same day only five of the 3,000 emails
they receive is not spam; then their bank calls to tell them that $3,000 has
just left their account. They try to find out some information online and
everything they click leads to a website with pictures of naked women on it.

This is a scenario that *will* happen unless it is prevented from happening.
It means controls need to be put in place and it means that suitable failure
systems have to be put in place.

But we are 100 miles from even starting that conversation because of the
insistence - wrong in my view - that *any* controls are somehow damaging.

Just my two cents/pence.

Kieren