[governance] Rwanda and media

Rui Correia correia.rui at gmail.com
Thu Oct 4 10:25:01 EDT 2007

I would urge that those who get their worldview from the likes of CNN look
deeper before pointing fingers at "third world countries" when clarion calls
of trampled democracy start blaring. People would better serve democracy
(and in this case, media freedom, freedom of information) if they paid more
attention at what the FCC in the US is allowing the networks to get away
with. Because like it or not (barring now a EU with muscle to set its own
course) whatever gets done in the US tends to ripple out across the world.
The problem is that it hapens in small doses, but continuously, never enough
to cause the alarm bells to go off. At any rate, civil society's stake is
being chiselled away at, and the arbiter is not doing its job.

The real dangers to democracy is whether or not Venezuela renews a TV
licence, but when the government that claims to be the superpower and world
policeman tramples on Geneva conventions and tortues men and women in
Guantanamo, miles away from the government they have for decades called a
tyranny, while in Iraq they outdid Saddam's brutality at Abu Graib.

[]s

Rui

*PS lack of time a while back prevented me form finishing a log piece I was
penning together on CNN as nothing but an extension of the US vision of the
world. It no longer has the same agenda as the CNN that we saw reporting
from the Baghdad Hotel when the first Bush went after Saddam. But there are
people on this list far better informed then me on the issue, so who know
they might want to post something on it. Otherwise, subscibe to the likes of
Kevin Tagland's BENTON'S COMMUNICATIONS-RELATED HEADLINES,
http://www.benton.org
and Timothy Karr's FreePress.org (I think Timothy has hust left, but
www.FreePress.org is still there. Alternatively, you might want to amuse
yourself with google looking up things like "CIA interference in Latin
Ameria"/ Brazil/ Venezuela/ you name it. "Council on Foreign Relations" etc
etc.

On 04/10/2007, Carlos Afonso <ca at rits.org.br > wrote:

> Dr Müller's remark misses the point regarding Chavez on two counts: the
> first is rightly pointed out by David -- the elites (with the near
> exclusive privilege of disseminating their views through the big media)
> do not like that others keep telling them they are in power for
> centuries and have been making sure that there continues to be just a
> few well-off and a smashing majority of very poor in Latin America. If
> there is a success story of the elites in LA, this is it.
>
> The second is that Chavez did not take away the licence. It expired and
> the government has the prerrogative to renew it or not. Terms of the
> contract say explicitly the incumbent network will not engage in
> demoralizing a constitutionally elected government (this and similar
> restrictions were not created by Chavez, they are part of nearly all
> radio and TV concessions in democratic countries). The renewal referred
> to the open air TV licence only, but the same conservative media group
> continues to operate through cable TV (which is fine for them, the ones
> who have cable TV in Venezuela are the ones who generally support the
> opposition, the upper classes who are mostly opposed to Chavez, so they
> are happily talking to each other). If Chavez were really bound to do
> what the Murdoch gang keeps telling us, he would just block the group's
> access to cable TV as well.
>
> We are here right now in a similar process in Brazil, but the outcome
> will quite probably be different. The Globo/Slim media group has several
> radio and TV channel licences expiring or expired (as do most of the
> other big private networks), and civil society organizations are
> mobilized to open up discussion regarding renewal of hundreds of these
> public concessions. Frequency spectrum is an asset of the commons and
> the State is its guardian on behalf of the people, so there is a need to
> discuss whether the current incumbents deserve renewal -- strictly
> speaking, most do not, as they have violated on many counts the terms of
> their concession contracts for proper use of an asset of the commons. A
> lot similar with the private appropriation for profit of the Internet
> critical resources we will be discussing in Rio.
>
> Another point is that Chavez did not do a coup d'état, American style
> (meaning Somozas, Pinochets and the sort) -- to the contrary, the USA
> stimulated a coup d'état against him which failed miserably in a few
> days. He did all he did (with imperfections, mistakes and whatever,
> please point us to a regime anywhere in the developing world which is
> perfect...) within the legal political system of the country. Sorry for
> the elitist opposition if he won, but he won through elections and
> plebiscites. The rest is the anti-Chavez political campaigning through
> Murdoch's networks and their kin. BTW, a similar process is now going on
> in Ecuador, with the economist Correa at the head, legally elected in a
> [...]

Rui Correia
Advocacy, Human Rights, Media and Language Consultant
2 Cutten St
Horison
Roodepoort-Johannesburg,
South Africa