[governance] For you as an Internet user what is a "Critical Internet resource"?

Karl Auerbach karl at cavebear.com
Thu Oct 4 06:17:08 EDT 2007

McTim wrote:

>> On the other hand we have the demand for stable addresses and provider
>> independent addresses:
>
> I've never heard the term "stable" used, I think your talking about PA
> allocations ( the numbering community calls them " PA") for "Provider
> Aggregatable".

I mean "stable" as in "our addresses won't change if we change
providers", i.e. provider independent.

> While it is true that there are few global policies to coordinate, the
> ASO AC is alive and well.  It's the bottom upittyness of numbering
> policy...

That "bottom" is, as I pointed out, one that that today populated by
those skilled in the arcane arts of routing and building routing gear.
The consumers of those addresses tend to be underrepresented.

The top level ICANN policy can be best expressed as "When a RIR asks,
ICANN causes IANA to grant".  That's not a very satisfying policy in
that it is effectively an abrogation of responsibility and raises the
question "Why is ICANN involved in IP address policy at all?"

By-the-way, in the land of ICANN it would certainly be nice if DNS
policy bubbled up from those who register domain names, but such is not
the case.

As for specific things that the IGF could undertake with regards to
addressing: Recognize ICANN's failure to really engage on address
policies and establish a new body to fill the vacancy.

Also, the IGF could recognize that RIRs ought to be flexible bodies that
should exist in conformance with the aggregation possibilities of the
actual connectivity of the net.  My last conversations with Jon Postel
were on the subject of RIR's that grow, fade, merge, and split in accord
with the growth and fading of lumps of rich internet connectivity.  Jon
and I agreed that the bailiwick of each RIR should be defined by
technical connectivity not political correctness.

And finally, the RIR's tend to operate as if those who participate are
the only interests.  The IGF, of a body it creates, would be useful to
establish guiding principles, or perhaps something softer, like
guidelines, that express the address needs of the bulk of users who have
trouble being articulate and persuasive in the relatively technical
discussions inside the RIRs.

To be a bit more concrete - there have been a lot of notes on this list
lately about some fairly abstract things, such as freedom of expression.
  Well, that's a hard topic, but at the bottom of it, there is no way to
be expressive on the net without some means to use a machine with an IP
address.  Consequently a useful guideline or principle that the IGF
could adopt is one that drives address policies to favor greater
availability of addresses, at relatively low prices and gives less
weight to the "efficient" use of address spaces.

		--karl--

     governance at lists.cpsr.org