[governance] For you as an Internet user, what is a "Critical Internet resource"?

Jeremy Malcolm Jeremy at Malcolm.id.au
Mon Oct 1 20:02:47 EDT 2007

McTim wrote:
> Reading the TA, CIR aren't defined in it (below are all instances
> where the term "critical internet resources" appear in the TA), and
> there is certainly no mention of routing tables anywhere in the TA.
> But I am curious about their inclusion in your list, if you have a
> routing table, that implies a router, so aren't routers also a CIR
> under your definition?

This is true, but the TA is not an island.  The WGIG Background Report
is much more clear:

"54.  Issues relating to infrastructure and the management of critical
Internet resources are  of direct relevance to Internet governance and
fall within the ambit of existing organizations  with responsibility for
these matters. The issues divide fairly naturally into two subgroups:

* Issues relating to physical infrastructure including related technical
standards, and  telecommunications infrastructure including innovative
and converged technologies; and

* Issues relating to the management of critical Internet resources,
including  administration of the domain name system and IP addresses,
administration of the  root server system, as well as
multilingualization of the domain name system."

Sure this means that the Tunis Agenda is a bit confused on this point,
but what else is new?  The definitions of the stakeholder groups are
another classic example of that.

--
Jeremy Malcolm LLB (Hons) B Com
Internet and Open Source lawyer, IT consultant, actor
     governance at lists.cpsr.org