[governance] RE: Human rights and new gTLDs

Lee McKnight LMcKnigh at syr.edu
Mon Oct 1 09:51:59 EDT 2007

Kieren,

I appreciate your engagement even if your use of the word 'inevitable'
was unfortunate; since very little is truly inevitable in the course of
human events.

As you may recall folks, including myself and Milton, have developed
and advocated 'regular, transparent and objectuve' procedures for gTLD
allocation for some time, and offered concrete suggestions on how those
could be implemented. As have the OECD.

I understand the auction method we advocated has been rejected for a
beauty contest approach of picking winners and losers.

As they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder; best of luck to
ICANN implementing a 'regular, transparent and objective' method for
measuring beautiful gTLDs and not so beautiful gTLDs.

Lee

Prof. Lee W. McKnight
School of Information Studies
Syracuse University
+1-315-443-6891office
+1-315-278-4392 mobile

>>> kierenmccarthy at gmail.com 10/1/2007 9:36:37 AM >>>
> Yet, despite your mockery, that is more or less how we define
> censorship in the US.  We even have a name for the false doctrine you

> approve of: "the heckler's veto"

I wasn't mocking anyone. And I don't think a reasonable review of what
wrote would reveal anything approaching mockery.

I admire your semantic efforts of "false doctrine" and "heckler's veto"
undermine a point of view without engaging on the actual points but
unfortunately all that leaves is one blinkered and aggressive response
one attempt at broader discussion and understanding.

And your attempt to argue that I am presenting the concept of "well
meaning
censorship" would be insulting if it wasn't so silly.

I think there are two broad points here:

* The Internet is global, and so any attempt to impose one prevailing
philosophy over it are doomed to failure. Everyone would do well to
remember
that.

* The approach to discourse that sees anyone with a dissenting view
attacked
with little or no effort to review what they actually said is never
going to
provide any useful conclusion, and so all its resulting fire and heat
will
end up being ignored.

Danny Younger actually makes an effort to engage in a later post I
see,
arguing that there is the possibility for a huge number of new gTLDs to
be
blocked.

I have to confess this is my concern as well - which is why it is vital
that
the actual mechanisms for deciding a new gTLD when it is queried is
where
the attention should be focused.

But all the while that the proponents of a far less
intellectual-property
view of the world spend shouting and refusing to engage, the more the
underlying system will take on the characteristics of those that seek
build, rather than impose, consensus.

Kieren