[governance] RE: Human rights and new gTLDs

Danny Younger dannyyounger at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 1 08:50:22 EDT 2007

Kieren,

I'd like to discuss your concept of "inevitable
policies".

For years we have had the GAC and WIPO pushing for the
adoption of protections for IGOs.  Just yesterday, the
GNSO Council received from ICANN Staff a Draft IGO
Domain Name Resolution Procedure which will be taken
up for discussion at the 11 October Council meeting.

You may be of the view that the proposed IGO policies
are "agreed to by large sections of the ICANN
community over several years" as they have been
ardently backed by the GAC, by WIPO, by the IPC, and
others and as such are "inevitable" given the growing
power of governments within ICANN.

The proposed policy allows for an objections based
approach for strings at the top level in the event
that an IGO asserts that a TLD will be in conflict
with the name or abbreviation of the IGO protected
under Article 6ter of the Paris Convention, an
international treaty.

At a surface level this seems like a reasonable
inevitable policy... but let's dig deeper.

Let's just imagine for a moment what our world would
look like if the policy had been put into place back
in the days when we only had com/net/org as gTLDs.
Along come the new boys on the block -- .INFO and .BIZ
-- but wait!  An objection is filed...

The argument is put forward that BIZ will violate the
terms of Article 6ter, and that the Internet community
will be devastated by the rampant confusion that will
occur should BIZ ever find its way into the root.

As "everybody knows" BIZ is the 6ter protected
acronym/abbreviation for the BANK FÜR INTERNATIONALEN
ZAHLUNGSAUSGLEICH -- or (in English, the Bank for
International Settlements, a distinguished IGO), so we
can't possibly allow BIZ to enter into the root...
just think of the havoc that would ensue!

Well here it is several years later, with millions of
registrations in .BIZ, and not a single complaint of
confusion.

Policies should never be regarded as "inevitable" as
some policies, frankly, can be rather stupid.

regards,
Danny

http://searchmarketing.yahoo.com/
     governance at lists.cpsr.org