Voting, procedures, costs, and privacy. Was: Re: [governance] Innovation

Karl Auerbach karl at cavebear.com
Fri Nov 30 14:09:13 EST 2007

Avri Doria wrote:

> but these procedures exclude everyone who has neither a credit card nor
> a bank account. i expect that is most people in the world.
> or are they not rich enough to count?

I don't disagree with you.  I was mainly pointing out the method that we
adopted for the individual domain name owners association - in which
case the members had enough money to acquire a domain name and engage in
a financial transaction to pay for it.

To my mind the answer is to try to combine various methods - a credit
card or bank account being but one method.  Others could include direct
contact as in the ICANN year 2000 election or an X attests for Y who
attests for Z kind of chain.

> yes, i would prefer to see financing come from a ICANN funded foundation
> that was separate from staff, to eliminate the appearance of company union
> (i am not arguing that it is happeing, but  ICANN, or an company, remains
> open to the accusation).

That's a useful idea.  If this were the case the money would have to be
applied in a form that avoided not only the actuality of bias and
influence but also the appearance of such.  And the money should be
restricted to facilitating the election process - if it were used for
watering holes like the ALAC then there is an appearance, if not the
actuality, of influence.

		--karl--
     governance at lists.cpsr.org