[governance] Irony Unravelled

Alejandro Pisanty apisan at servidor.unam.mx
Thu Nov 29 20:07:15 EST 2007

Lee,

and the issues are...?

Alejandro Pisanty

.  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  . .  .  .  .  .  .
      Dr. Alejandro Pisanty
Director General de Servicios de Computo Academico
UNAM, Universidad Nacional Autonoma de Mexico
Av. Universidad 3000, 04510 Mexico DF Mexico
Tel. (+52-55) 5622-8541, 5622-8542 Fax 5622-8540
http://www.dgsca.unam.mx
*
---->> Unete a ISOC Mexico, www.isoc.org
  Participa en ICANN, www.icann.org
.  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .

On Thu, 29 Nov 2007, Lee McKnight wrote:

> [...]
>> some substantive reason.  If you respond to the wrath instead of the
>> substance behind it, you distract from any productive discussion.
>>
>> In some other cases, that would be an explicit intent (we see it a lot in
>> the US, and it is part of the general degradation of political discourse in
>> the US -- a real shame).
>>

>>> Q. Am I unwilling to discuss issues surrounding ICANN?
>>> A. No. Quite the opposite - I *want* people to discuss ICANN. I'm not sure
>>> this list is necessarily the best place for all of it, but you take what you
>>> can find.
>>
>> If a viewpoint (or the person stating it) is merely attacked rather than
>> addressed substantively, then it suggests that one does not want to discuss
>> the substance of issue, at least not in the manner offered.  The question
>> is deeper than *whether* to discuss ICANN, but *how* to discuss ICANN.
>> People here expect to discuss it substantively however they want, even when
>> it goes against the preferred policies of those who run ICANN.
>>
>> Whenever you personally take issue with someone's substantive point of
>> view, you need to take into account that you cannot separate yourself from
>> the organization, either in viewpoint or in tone of presentation.
>>
>> Even your dismissal of this list as "not ... necessarily the best place" to
>> discuss ICANN can be interpreted as a sort of collective ad hominem.  Do
>> you see that?  Perhaps you really meant that there are structural and
>> procedural reasons why discussions here are less effective in affecting
>> ICANN policy deliberations, which is one thing, but given the contextual
>> priming, it can also be read as suggesting that the opinions here are not
>> useful in the discussion as a matter of substance (and that could be
>> because the substantive comments are diluted with too much ad hominem, but
>> maybe also because the substance is not to the liking of ICANN as an
>> institution -- again, you can't get rid of that organizational connection,
>> so as a public mouthpiece for ICANN you have to go the extra distance to
>> clarify yourself in the face of such ambiguity).
>>
>> We are all now on hair-trigger alert for ad hominems here, so everyone must
>> be extra careful.  Again, just a friendly word of advice on how we conduct
>> ourselves here, because one may be causing unintended consequences in one's
>> own expressions.
>>
>> For example, if you were to dismiss this analysis as "long winded" without
>> addressing the substance of these comments, then you would be falling prey
>> to exactly what you deplore in others.  I'm trying hard here to go into
>> great detail, because sometimes the point is lost without explicit detail.
>> Repetition is part of the learning process, so sometimes a little
>> redundancy is called for, when addressing a point that is particularly
>> difficult to absorb for one reason or another.
>>

>>> Q. Why am I therefore complaining about rudeness etc?
>>> A. Because it limits conversation and discussion. That's it. Nothing more to
>>> it. If you don't believe me, why not ask the exact same questions but
>>> without being personally offensive, rude, dismissive or couching a question
>>> in leading, negative terms? (And it's not just me and ICANN under discussion
>>> here, it's this list in general and its wider discussions.)
>>
>> The best way to address this here is to lead by example.  I've developed a
>> fairly thick skin myself (prior to joining this list), but I still find it
>> annoying and challenging to constantly have to fend off my own emotional
>> reactions to focus on matters of substance.
>>
>> You have disagreed sometimes with policy stances taken by me and/or
>> organizations I am working for (unpaid, by the way), but when the
>> disagreement is not substantive but rather dismissive or otherwise
>> attacking the frame or presentation of the message rather than the
>> substance of the message, this cannot be considered to be leading by
>> example.
>>

>>> Q. Are you going to go on and on about this?
>>> A. God, I hope not. Particularly when in recent days the list has been very
>>> interesting and informative re: IGF 2008 preparations.
>>
>> The best way to put this to rest is for everyone involved to begin behaving
>> without demeaning every other statement by someone who disagrees with one's
>> own viewpoint, and instead to address the substance of the disagreement on
>> the merits.
>>
>> I can assure you that I have been the target of a good number of ad hominem
>> attacks on this list, and it certainly leaves a bad taste in the mouth,
>> especially when they are later denied.
>>
>> And, frankly, I don't expect that this list will all of a sudden become
>> perfect in its avoidance of ad hominems.  It's hard to change ingrained
>> habits, and flame wars are well-known online.  I'll try to give you the
>> benefit of doubt if you do it in the future (as I did above), but I may
>> call explicit attention to the uncertainty surrounding your intent, and ask
>> you to clarify.
>>

>>> Q. Is that it?
>>> A. If people want to continue having this conversation let's have it

     governance at lists.cpsr.org