[governance] preparing for IGF 2008

Max Senges maxsenges at gmail.com
Wed Nov 28 08:26:46 EST 2007

> I think that time is ripe to have a "general assembly" type of plenary
> discussion, as long as it's clear that it's not negotiating anything.
> But it needs more than two hours per theme, and it needs to be clearly
> focused and finalized in some way. Not easy to put in practice.

The idea of a "general assembly" sounds interesting. I am not sure
what you mean saying it should not negotiate? No binding agreements,
but i believe the goal would be to have this body agree on something
like "official IGF RFCs/Statements",no?

Also it might make sense to think about an institutionalized "WGIG
like" expert group a bit like the German "German Council of Economic
Experts" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_Council_of_Economic_Experts)
they have authority not so much by mandate but by competence and
reason.

Regarding the workshops, I like Vittorio's soft steering of a "please
think again" and possibly urge similar proposals to consolidate and
make a joint session.

Lastly regarding Ralf's point: I have been to their privacy workshop
and it really was one of the few events worth the title "workshop".
Possibly two types of side events "pannel discussions/presentations"
and workshops would do the trick.

best,
max
     governance at lists.cpsr.org