[governance] Re: France To Require Internet Service Providers To Filter Infringing Music

Meryem Marzouki marzouki at ras.eu.org
Tue Nov 27 19:18:34 EST 2007

Le 27 nov. 07 à 22:25, Dan Krimm a écrit :

> Another question I heard elsewhere is: does the deep packet inspection
> violate EU privacy laws?

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "deep packet inspection"
here? What I can tell you is that French data protection law, when it
has been revised in 2004, has granted new powers to IP right holders:
it has allowed collecting societies to create private records of
rights infringers through the collection of their IP addresses in P2P
networks. This has not been found unconstitutional.. because there is
still the need for a legal order to get the personal details
corresponding to these IP addresses from ISPs.
To my knowledge, what IP collecting societies has been doing is: mark
some bait files, share them on P2P networks, and trace them as well
as IP addresses of users who download or upload them in their turn.

In case you're interested in more details (in English), you may refer
to the 'French Republic' chapter of the annual EPIC "Privacy and
Human Rights" worldwide survey: as I'm the one updating this chapter
yearly, you'll find there most of what I can tell on this issue.

The real issue here is the status of the IP address: is it a personal
data? It seems that it is not anymore, at least in France (see http://
www-polytic.lip6.fr/article.php3?id_article=188 for quick comments on
latest developments).

> Bottom line, yes this is distinctly alarming.  Then again, it could
> simply
> lead to P2P developers designing encrypted distributed-P2P
> applications to
> foil the DPI.

Frankly, I don't think that this race is a solution (further
encryption then further criminalization, etc.). The only solution
would be an adapted economic model to the online distribution of
music and videos (a la 'legal licence' or flatfee), but there is
still a long way to go..

Meryem

--
Meryem Marzouki - http://www.iris.sgdg.org
IRIS - Imaginons un réseau Internet solidaire

     governance at lists.cpsr.org