[governance] Innovation

Jacqueline A. Morris jam at jacquelinemorris.com
Tue Nov 27 15:35:38 EST 2007

Karl, you wrote:

> I claim (and firmly believe) that the ALAC is a failure.  Disprove me.
Well, first we need to agree on the parameters that constitute success and
failure, and I think that we won't agree on this, based on your next line:

> Show how masses of people are running to it and that its processes
> actually form a force that can hold ICANN accountable for its actions.

Cause I don't agree that that's one criterion to judge success.

> Show how it is a better vehicle for the formation of ideas and a seed
> for the formation of consensus than any group of people who might
> happen
> to gather in a non-ALAC, such as this one.

Well, I've seen this happen in the regional groupings and sub-regional
groupings. Honestly, before LACRALO formed, we had one venue for discussion,
but it was rather moribund. ALAC activity has got more and more people
involved and the discussions are very lively and very energetic, and from
those discussions we have got a lot of ideas and agreement on Caribbean
issues.

> I claim (and firmly believe) that people are shunning the ALAC in
> droves.  Disprove me.  Show how, even after years of existence, ICANN
> staff support, and hundreds of thousands of dollars of life support
> that, the number of people who are actually involved in the ALAC would
> fill more than the smallest of small rooms - as compared to the nearly
> 200,000 people who tried to sign up for ICANN's year 2000 elections.

Signing up for an election is easy and takes very little effort. Getting
involved on a volunteer basis takes much more effort. This comparison is
mangoes and oranges. So I wouldn't use this as a criterion for the success
or failure either.

> On the other hand, ICANN holds the ALAC out as a reason why members of
> the internet community should be satisfied and not ask for voting.

Does it? And obviously if that is really so, it isn't working - see this
long and intense discussion...

Jacqueline

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
17:58