[governance] Innovation

Jacqueline A. Morris jam at jacquelinemorris.com
Tue Nov 27 15:20:27 EST 2007

Hi Avri
Thanks
This was very well said.
Jacqueline

-----Original Message-----
From: Avri Doria [mailto:avri at psg.com]
Sent: Tuesday, November 27, 2007 06:21
To: Internet Governance Caucus
Subject: Re: [governance] Innovation

Hi,

With a certain amount of trepidation (though my skin is already
rather thick) I think i will weigh in with a few personal
observations.  Note, I am making to claims of fact, except maybe
about my own perceptions.

I was an active IETF participant when ICANN was being formed and was
one of those who was excited about the voting basis of this new
organization.  What a wonderful experiment i thought.  So i signed up
as a voter, and duly voted.  I think I even voted for Karl, but my
memory isn't that good.  I like him and respect him, so I probably
did.  When voting was abolished, I was outraged.  I understood that
there had been flaws in the election process and felt that they
should have been fixed.  anyway, I was so outraged that I decided
that I would have nothing further to do with ICANN.

And for years, i didn't.  I remained active in the IETF, got involved
in ICT4D software development, found myself involved in civil society
and ended up in WGIG.

There i took part in the analysis of ICANN and while I was a
supporter of the IETF way of doing things, did not consider myself a
particular ally of ICANN - in fact outside of a few governments I was
probably one of the the most strident voices for the "ICANN out from
US domination" movement  (I support the no governments approach to
oversight) and for demands that ICANN get its act in gear and make
new gTLDs available to the world in massive quantities.  As a result
I too got the 'put your action where your mouth is' speech we are all
hearing and passing judgement on, and decided that yes, as a critic I
should get involved and spend a few years seeing if i could do
something.  the jury is still out on that - we still don't have gTLDs
for the people, whois still plagues the world and governments are
getting closer to dominating the Internet with every day that passes).

Anyway, in getting involved, i had to subject myself to the Nomcom,
and while it is a vile experience, and i say this as one of the
'successful candidates',  i see how hard it works to get balance.  Is
it better then elections? i don't know but it is different and I
believe it is a form of democracy.  Coming from a country where
elections are regularly stolen, I am not sure I am that much of a fan
of global (or national) elections anymore.  Perhaps there are more
local ways to build democracy from the bottom-up.  And perhaps we are
seeing some worthwhile experiments in that.  Another thing on which i
think the jury is still out.

And i have spent a bit of time watching and interacting with ALAC.

At first I agreed with Karl, it was a pampered pet, with little real
substance acting under the directions of a dominant staffer.  But
over the last years it has begun finding its own way.  It is around a
year since it stopped being an interim ALAC and began its real
existence. And it is starting to find way to make its voice heard.
It is also composed of many earnest concerned people (not flocks or
hordes, but many individuals). And though they still are under the
thumb of a dominant staffer, they are fighting back.  And this is a
good thing.

I tend to think that the ALAC now is not the interim ALAC of the past
and we need to stop looking at it as if it was.  It is something new
that should be given time to prove itself.  Yes, the structure is
complicated (gothic even), but that is what you get when you try to
build democracy from the ground up as opposed to using elections that
rely on sound bites with little substance.  And yes, we still need to
learn how to structure this bottom up democracy more effectively so
that it can be an effective voice and so that it can throw off the
control of a domineering staff.  I personally advocate an ALAC that
asserts itself enough as a civil society voice that it becomes the
real counter balance to the GAC and whose voice the Board must listen
too, or else.  I believe this is possible, but again, the jury is
still out.

What is clear to me, is that this is a valid experiment in democratic
action and that the nomcom and ALAC  are viable parts of that
structure.  Will it work better then elections where we elect the
prettiest and most charming fellow out there (see, i really am fond
of Karl), remains to be seen, but I for one hope so.

Are massive numbers of people joining the organzations that make up
ALAC?  I don't know and it might be good to have an idea of how big
some of these ALSes and RALOs are and what sort of growth rates they
experience over the next few years. Then again what I think we we
need are committed local internet users who self organize to make
local, regional and global improvement to the Internet, and that is
what i think we have.   For now, I think ALAC deserves a chance to
show what it can evolve into and whether it can do the job.

a.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
17:58