[governance] Reinstate the Vote

Dan Krimm dan at musicunbound.com
Mon Nov 26 16:28:21 EST 2007

It strikes me that ICANN may be proceeding from a board-election process
typical among private nonprofit organizations as incorporated under US and
California laws.

Nonprofit orgs can set up their bylaws with various options, but they need
not have "members" that elect the directors, and even when they do they
need not allow members to nominate candidates.  (And whether ICANN's "open"
processes for determining NomCom members is genuinely representative of the
public interest is quite debatable.)

NPOs (i.e., typical civil society organizations operating under nonprofit
status) may be familiar with a variety of such options, and many of them
(us) indeed keep a fairly tight rein on the membership of the board.  In
fact, this is often a good thing, when an NPO needs to consider its "board
matrix" to determine if important skill sets are missing from the board, in
order to properly conduct effective oversight of the organization for which
it has a fiduciary responsibility to protect the public interest, according
to the organization's mission statement.

But NPOs are not designed as public institutions (they have a tax-exempt
status to the extent that they honor the public interest mission stated in
their articles of incorporation -- that's about it), and the standards of
accountability for a private NPO are quite distinct from the standards of
accountability for public institutions, partly because the public
constituency of an NPO is typically quite different from (i.e., much
narrower than) that of a generally public institution.

This is where the location of ICANN "in the gray area" between public and
private status is most confusing and vague, and allows opportunities to be
"creative" in navigating accountability issues.  In short, ICANN is "in
between the cracks" of public and private legal status, and I believe that
is the origin of the bulk of this debate.

For example, if ICANN were indisputably a public entity (i.e., an official
arm of the USG), it would be subject to US statutory constraints WRT public
notice-and-comment procedures, freedom of expression, etc. (and its current
operation would almost certainly be in violation of some of these
provisions).  OTOH, if it were entirely private it would be subject to the
same antitrust laws that govern other private entities involved in commerce.

But by aiming for the cracks (via the white paper and MoU/JPA with
DoC/NTIA, with relatively weak oversight by NTIA -- wink, wink, nudge,
nudge, let's talk about it offline and in the back room) it seems to be
aiming to escape the jurisdiction of both public entities and private
antitrust law, in a sort of legal "none of the above" categorization.

ICANN has often said it is "inventing a new way" to do things, and part of
that new way is this intermediate legal status that is not well defined in
statute or the courts (at least in the US).  However, eventually the legal
system might well catch up to them, perhaps more likely starting in the
courts since they can respond to changing circumstances more quickly than
statutes and even federal agency regulations.

Okay, so, bottom line question:  Should ICANN model itself after NPOs or
public agencies in terms of public accountability?

The answer:  It depends on what ICANN is really doing.  If it is fulfilling
important governance functions typical of public institutions, then it
makes sense that its processes of accountability should be modeled after
public institutions (like public voting for positions that have ultimate
policy-making/approving authority, especially when actual government
oversight is weak and thus the electoral process that provides some measure
of accountability for public institutions is weak in its application to
ICANN).

I concur with those who see ICANN as clearly addressing public political
issues and public governance -- it is "inventing new law" and a new legal
jurisdiction with significant political impacts on the public at large --
and thus it ought to model itself after the precedents for public
accountability of governments, rather than seeing itself serving only a
small constituency of tech elites.

So, not that this has solved anything (I have gradually come to understand
that the "only technical" versus "public policy" debate has been part of
ICANN since its inception), but hopefully this sets the discussion in an
additional theoretical context to help evaluate the options.

Part of the problem with the whole "privatization of government" movement
over the last 20-30 years is that this "new public management" approach to
what is now being termed "cross-sectoral governance" in the public policy
profession has no clear precedent, and the whole thing is being invented
from scratch, with lots of mistakes along the path due to the
trial-and-error methods of this invention process (i.e., there's a lot of
error along the way, as we proceed through a series of trials).

When these experiments settle down, they tend to involve new forms of
regulation to replace direct provision of services by the government, but
in the transition period it is often the case that these semi-private
entities are under-regulated, leading to systematic problems in serving the
public interest.  ICANN is undoubtedly still a work-in-progress, and so the
public accountability debate must remain one of the most critical issues
before the organization.  In this context, I personally come down on the
side of urging more public accountability, of course (I see ICANN as still
under-regulated from the point of view of public interests, and this allows
private powers to run a little freer than they ought, at present).

Dan

PS -- FWIW, I'm a big fan of IRV voting methods.  I wish we had it for all
of our political elections in the US.  Basically, I like the way it
preserves "one citizen/one vote" for all head-to-head matchups between all
possible candidates, and removes the problem of the split vote in voting
blocs.  But, it needs a reliable voter-verified paper audit trail in order
to remain effectively accountable to the public, otherwise we have no way
of checking whether an election was carried out fairly and justly.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org