[governance] Reinstate the Vote

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Mon Nov 26 10:30:23 EST 2007

Craig:
Thanks for your constructive intervention. I've reviewed the site and it's interesting. Of course from political science I am familiar with different techniques of voting and yes, one can design systems that are much better at aggregating preferences than what ICANN did in 2000, or for that matter one could improve the voting systems used by any organization.

The problem is that we are not engaged on a debate about the proper voting technique; we are debating whether there should be voting _at all_. It is an essentially political debate in which one side feels that they cannot trust a democratic Board election system and prefer something more manageable and controllable; the other side wants to empower a global public. Until there is broader political consensus on this question, the question of the specific technique used to implement democracy is secondary.

--MM

Checked by AVG Free Edition.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org