[governance] Rudeness tectics (was Re: Reinstate the Vote)

Rui Correia correia.rui at gmail.com
Mon Nov 26 06:15:26 EST 2007

Kieren

On 26/11/2007, Kieren McCarthy <kierenmccarthy at gmail.com> wrote:

>  With respect to this response and to a response by Judith Oppenheimer
> earlier.
> You both appear to view ICANN as a singular organisation whose staff work
> together to some pre-determined goal. The problem with this supposition is
> that it completely ignores the entire raison d'etre of ICANN: to co-ordinate
> between different supporting organisations and advisory committees.

I've personally worked with ICANN on more than one occasion and you will
have a hard task proving to me and many others that ICANN is NOT a "singular
organisation whose staff work together to some pre-determined goal". I
witnessed the behinds-the-scenes play-outs, the coordinated PR, the damage
control.

And when you say ICANN's raison d'etre is to "co-ordinate between different
supporting organisations and advisory committees" perhaps that is so, but as
long as the outcome of such coordination does not go against ICANN's
interests.

Rui

Rui Correia
Advocacy, Human Rights, Media and Language Consultant
2 Cutten St
Horison
Roodepoort-Johannesburg,
South Africa