[governance] Rudeness tectics (was Re: Reinstate the Vote)

Karl Auerbach karl at cavebear.com
Sun Nov 25 19:59:41 EST 2007

KovenRonald at aol.com wrote:

> The problem with proposals to "moderate" rudeness is that they are a
> form of censorship.

I very much agree with you.  Speaking for myself, I do feel at times
that many of the comments directed at me are intended not to facilitate
discussion or engage on the actual issue under discussion, but, rather,
to attempt to discredit me.  (Of course that is how I feel and not
necessarily indicative of the actual intent of those who make those
comments.)

On a scale of 1 to 10 with 1 being really bad and 10 being really good,
any proposal or institution for internet governance which fails to
incorporate, at a fundamental level, processes for real and meaningful
public participation and accountability to the public is a proposal that
rank at level 1 (or below), i.e. very egregious.

By comparison, I'd rank the kind of occasional lapse of diplomatic
courtesy and use of words that carry a hint of color to be pretty much
of middling grade - not particularly good, but then again, neither
particularly harmful.  As an example of this kind of middling thing I'd
put those attempts to discourage me from discussing some of ICANN's ills
on the grounds that I have been pointing out those still extant ills
since 1998.

As for direct personal attacks - such as directly belittling a person's
intelligence or capacity - I can't really say that I've seen much of
that.  Rather, I tend to perceive situations in which the offense seems
more the product of an unreasonably sensitive person or cultural
differences about discourse (we Americans tend to accept harsh degrees
of discourse more than do some others and thus we may more easily slip
into usage that we consider innocent but that triggers other cultural
expectations of greater courtesy) - the cure for the former is for
people to grow slightly thicker skins, the cure for the latter is for
those of us who tend to come from places where rough-and-tumble
discourse is accepted to learn to tone ourselves down.  My own
experience over the years tends to suggest that there could be a more
sinister factor at work (and I hope I am simply engaging in raw
speculation and that this is not in fact occurring here): intentionally
feigned offense for the purpose of making the maker of the comment
appear to be some sort of transgressor.

Thus on my scale of badness, we are discussing how to prevent future
(and existing) bodies of internet governance from pursuing structural
methods or courses of action that are really bad.

If along the way our level of discourse slips to less than some angelic
degree of perfection, then, when comparing a real evil against a slight
transgression, I'd let the slight, and hopefully innocently intended,
transgression pass and remember that we are really addressing a far more
significantly bad problem, the loss of institutions of internet
governance that are clearly accountable to the community of internet users.

Getting back to the inner topic that triggered this side thread:

To my mind the idea that any institution of internet governance could be
proposed, much less come into existence, that has no direct and clear
method of process through which it is open, transparent, and most
importantly, accountable, to the community of internet users is an idea
that I find highly offensive.

Nearly as offensive to me is the suggestion that we internet users are
so childlike that our interactions must be informed by and performed
through mechanisms created by the body of internet governance,
particularly when business interests are not required to express their
interests via internet-governance-body operated playpens.

To me it is an easy balance - I will accept a few moments of rude
behavior and attacks if in the larger scope it will help prevent the
expansion of what I find to be serious and real dangers to just and
accountable forms of internet governance.

		--karl--

     governance at lists.cpsr.org