[governance] Reinstate the Vote

yehudakatz at mailinator.com yehudakatz at mailinator.com
Thu Nov 22 22:53:32 EST 2007

Well I must confess that I never intended this string to run this far, and
since it has evolved into debate about 'Elections', We ought to differ to the
experts within the field.

The UN's 'Electoral Assistance Division' home page
http://www.un.org/Depts/dpa/ead/index.shtml
begins with the:

Universal Declaration of Human Rights ...

The will of the people shall be the basis of the authority of government; this
will shall be expressed in periodic and genuine elections which shall be by
universal and equal suffrage and shall be held by secret vote or by equivalent
free voting procedures.

Article 21(3)

-

When we look at this another way by examining the number of 'requests for
electoral assistance', or that is requests for 'Impartial election
observervation/oversight'. It illustrates the 'importance of The Vote' at all
strata of political debate.

I think its important to build tools and focus on Localized-Community
elections, with regard to 'some areas at issue' (not all) of Internet
Governance.
(the IGF should begin their focus at this level)

>From the Localized level, the 'areas at issue' may require a higher level of
consensus taking,
expl.: a ccTld issue would be elected at the National Level, where a gTld would
require election at a Global Level.

The type of issue would also dictate what level the 'area at issue' would be
placed.
expl.: a Human Rights issue regarding the Internet might be placed at the
Global level, or a Systems Protocol issue might be placed at a Local or
National level.

There will be a variety of situations which would need proper distribution
(placed at the appropriate level).

The matter of 'how to distill the issues and place them in the proper level' is
central to what 'Internet Governance' is to me, for this part.

In summary, with reagrds to Icann, I feel there are definitely areas (@-issue)
which require Public Election, at some level or another. ( but not *all* areas)
The 'means' of how these issues are deciphered and distributed for Vote are
a-central-key to Internet Governance. It is important to have "Public Oversite"
which 'binds' Icann to the Community at all Levels.

That's just my opinion, I maybe wrong.

Referances:

Overview Information: Statistics
http://www.un.org/Depts/dpa/ead/overview.html#Statistics

United Nations Development Programme
for Electoral Systems and Processes
http://www.undp.org/governance/sl-elections.htm

Declaration of Principles for International Election Obsevation
and Code of Conduct for International Election Observers
http://www.accessdemocracy.org/library/1923_declaration_102705.pdf

The Carter Center: Election Reports
http://www.cartercenter.org/news/publications/election_reports.html

Focus on women and elections in post-conflict countries?
http://www.un.org/womenwatch/osagi/wps/publication/Chapter1.htm
&
http://www.un.org/womenwatch/osagi/wps/index.html#pub

--

Support Ref. for Alejandro Pisanty comments:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mexican_general_election%2C_2006#Post-election_con
troversy

--
End