[governance] Reinstate the Vote

Kieren McCarthy kierenmccarthy at gmail.com
Wed Nov 21 12:01:05 EST 2007

> As there are some on this list that may not fully
> understand the ICANN processes, it would be
> appreciated if in your capacity as ICANN Public
> Participation Manager you could clearly spell out for
> the list members the process by which requests for
> policy change (such as a call to "reinstate the vote")
> can properly be addressed within ICANN.

> Simply put, how do we obtain representation within
> ICANN?  What's the process?

Actually, this is good timing Danny.

As we speak I am trying to piece together exactly how ICANN does work so I
can usefully direct people to the right parts of the organisation and
maximize the impact of people's input (so creating a positive feedback
loop).

So, taking this one example: if you felt that the introduction of some kind
of voting system by Internet users in order to choose Board members was
absolutely the right way to go, this would (in my opinion) be the best way
to do it.

1. Read the review report of the NomCom. Go through the parts that refer to
its role of choosing Board members and ask for consideration to be given on
whether the NomCom need to review its own role in this regard. My
understanding at the moment is that the independent evaluators are reviewing
the report in light of comments and will put out an amended draft that will
then be up for public comment and, presumably, there will be a second public
meeting on it. Provide input on both.
http://www.icann.org/public_comment/#nomcom-review

2. Most significantly - get involved in the upcoming independent review of
ALAC. I think an evaluator is due to be chosen very soon, at which point
they will ask for public comment. You would need to review the terms of
reference to give decent input.
http://www.icann.org/reviews/alac-28feb07.htm

3. In terms of pragmatics - you have to review objectively why the voting
system was dropped; ask people in a fair and non-presumptive way what their
views of it were and why they felt what happened had happened. As soon as
you can have people from opposing ends debating the issue calmly there is
hope for progress. I think everyone will be surprised how much people want
the idea to work.

Here is the transcript at the Ghana meeting that would serve as useful
background: http://www.icann.org/at-large/final-report-05nov01.htm

4. In terms of structure. The hope from just about everyone is that Internet
users through whatever structure will get to choose Board members. Currently
that structure is ALAC. If you want to get to the point where this voting
actually happens, you just have to engage with the system as it is. You may
dream of a revolution but the reality is if you want to change the system,
you join a party and work through that party.

http://alac.icann.org/applications/

So, join ALAC - not only join it but strengthen it. If creating an ALS is a
hassle, find ways to make it simpler. Build up such a strong committee that
you can claim represents millions of Internet users - and then start
providing useful, powerful statements on ongoing policy to build up ALAC's
stature.

One ALAC is a respected body, it can pretty much decide what it wants to do
with itself. ALAC could either request an issues paper on voting, or it
could vote to rearrange its structure, or it could wait for the next
independent review to reform itself.

What can't be stressed too heavily though is that if people insist on change
before they have demonstrated value, it will simply drag out the issue for
another seven years.

Put another way: if you can persuade people that a voting system would work
in the Internet's and ICANN best interests, then it will happen. If you
don't seek to persuade but instead try to get into a position where you plan
to demand the change, you will fail.

Ultimately, despite all the noise and argument, 90 percent of the people
involved in ICANN are there to make the model work. Anything that sounds as
if it will damage that model will never pick up sufficient backing.

Kieren

As there are some on this list that may not fully
understand the ICANN processes, it would be
appreciated if in your capacity as ICANN Public
Participation Manager you could clearly spell out for
the list members the process by which requests for
policy change (such as a call to "reinstate the vote")
can properly be addressed within ICANN.

Simply put, how do we obtain representation within
ICANN?  What's the process?

Thanks,
Danny

________
Be a better pen pal.
Text or chat with friends inside Yahoo! Mail. See how.
http://overview.mail.yahoo.com/

     governance at lists.cpsr.org