[governance] Reinstate the Vote

Suresh Ramasubramanian suresh at hserus.net
Wed Nov 21 01:55:05 EST 2007

Guru at ITfC wrote:

> I find the debates rich and enlightening (thanks to you, Kieren, Dan,
> Karl, Vittorio, MM et al) and it would be sad to have these diverted due
> ad-hominem.

The content is rich. Yes. But how productive is it, as opposed to submitting
these to a formal comments process?

Most of my issues are with the "position papers" being put out by the
"Internet Governance Project", as it happens.

Yes there's a lot to fix about ICANN. I am not defending them as such - but
the inadequate civil society opposition ICANN actually gets .. slyly
underhand, biased papers from the IGP, or incoherent and rambling blogs /
emails from, say, Karl - completely unbiased, but with a technical slant I
differ with and way too many axes to grind with ICANN thanks to past history
... don't really help at all.

Karl was attacking the idea of centrist and smooth / go with the flow people
being on the ICANN board instead of people who are more opinionated. But
well, having been on boards myself (at least to organize netops and antispam
conferences), I would take a bit of issue with that.

I must admit that while I have posted plenty about domaining on
circleid.com, I missed the chance to participate in the GNSO comments phase
on domain tasting - the add grace period needing to go away is one place
where I completely endorse Karl's viewpoint .. so I am probably pointing
fingers at this lack of participation in a formal comments process, when I
haven't really participated myself.

Aside from that, my point has been that the only way the ICANN process can
be fixed is from within ICANN. And Kieren, in my view, is trying hard to fix
it. Whether he runs into failure from entrenched interests (which is an
inherent risk of any public policy process, participative / public-private
or not) is something that does need to be seen.

	srs

     governance at lists.cpsr.org