[governance] Reinstate the Vote

Donna.Austin donna.austin at icann.org
Tue Nov 20 23:45:26 EST 2007

Something got up your nose then mate?

-----Original Message-----
From: Kieren McCarthy [mailto:kierenmccarthy at gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, 21 November 2007 3:36 PM
To: governance at lists.cpsr.org
Subject: RE: RE: [governance] Reinstate the Vote

Bloody hell - why on earth didn't you boil this down and email it as a
comment to either of the frameworks' public comment periods?

I'm not sure I agree with you that the federal wording you quote provides
that much extra weight to public comment, but I have no problem discussing
that and what the value of public comment should be in ICANN processes.

I'll tell you quite bluntly what the problem with public comments are the
moment: it's a vicious circle. Poor quality comments (for whatever reason)
means the input isn't valued, which leads to people not bothering, which
leads to whatever comments are made not being taken seriously.

I am trying to break this circle by making sure summary/analyses of comments
are produced and are then explicitly reviewed by the body in question.

At the moment, and until public comments warrant greater respect, I think
that's the most one can expect. If we manage to get to a position where
well-considered, intelligent and thoughtful comments are regularly received
and enable ICANN as an organisation to make better policy decisions, then I
can see an easy case for beefing up their value within the system itself.

>From ICANN's side there is a major issue - as you quite rightly point out -
that thick reports are stuck out with almost no notice and people are
expected to provide largely unstructured input on these reports in a very
short timeframe.

This system cannot last and pretty much everyone agrees as much. If you look
for example at what was done with the new gTLDs report - and how a long
session at Los Angeles was structured to discuss the report point-by-point.
I think you can expect to see more of that sort of approach.

There are two other useful factors here. The GAC, funnily enough, will
ensure that documents are provided earlier and put out for review for longer
because they cannot work in the bylaws' stated timeframe.

And the new translation policy that we should have in place and running
properly by mid-2008 will mean documents have to be provided with some time
in order to make them available in other languages.

Add to this a general feeling that ICANN has to move to a model where it
supplies executive summaries of reports. Plus early efforts to introduce an
organisation-wide numbering system for documents, plus great improvements in
the pipeline for ICANN's websites, and most of these problems should start
fading away.

I am also arguing that the best way for ICANN to progress adequately is to
explicitly strip new policy documents into separate issues and encourage
debate on each from whoever is interested i.e. you simply don't expect
everyone to be interested in every aspect.

But that's just my perspective: I am not, and have never been, a policy
wonk, so it may not be workable in practice.

As for me not getting personally upset. Honestly, I do not take these things
personally. But I do find it infuriating when broad criticism is leveled at
the organisation without any precise information, and without any
constructive suggestions for improvement.

To change from one system to another, you have to know what precise changes
you will make, review them in the wider context of their impact on other
processes, and be certain that you will end up in a better position.

Just saying "this doesn't work" or "there is a better way" is less than
useful because it fosters defensiveness while achieving nothing. While I
have been at ICANN I have seen a huge amount of positive change. I have also
seen a few pieces of policy go through that I don't agree with - and in each
case that is because people didn't bother to present the opposite case, or
they refused to engage in constructive conversation.

My job is to make sure that people are easily able to present their views
and that those views are considered. I cannot and do not differentiate what
those views are, although I do have a bias for views that consider others'
perspectives and seek consensus - wherever they come from.

What I find frustrating is when people don't take those opportunities and
then complain after the fact that their views weren't taken into account.

The system isn't perfect but it is getting better and if you can see obvious
flaws or holes please point them out and I will do what I can to fix them.

Kieren