[governance] Reinstate the Vote

Karl Auerbach karl at cavebear.com
Tue Nov 20 22:30:20 EST 2007

Kieren McCarthy wrote:
> I'm not sure that what you outline could ever be envisioned as "working
> together".
>
> What you are saying is: I want you to reinstate a system that broke down and
> has caused seven years of argument.

ICANN's election system did not "break down".

The election system worked.

Those elections worked even though certain ICANN insiders disrupted the
process.

But ICANN's then "boardsquatters" along with certain insiders wanted to
escape ICANN's original promise to have elected directors.

ICANN was very, very afraid of the legal rights that are created for
internet users by such a process - rights that are routine in every
other public benefit corporation in California were too extreme for ICANN.

The election system system worked - except that the results it produced
and the questions that were raised along the way made ICANN
uncomfortable.  ICANN even went so far as to engage in unlawful activity
in an attempt to prevent the elected directors from performing their duties.

There were, as in any first time adventure, few flaws.  These could have
been repaired.

But no effort was made to repair them.

Instead those flaws were inflated for the sole purpose of providing an
excuse to dismantle elections.

The proposition that ICANN's elections in year 2000 "failed" is simply
and completely untrue.

The system that replaced it - the ALAC + Ombudsman has itself failed far
more completely than even the most inflated reprise of the year 2000
election.

		--karl--
     governance at lists.cpsr.org