[governance] Internet Governance Caucus in 2003

YJ Park yjpark21 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 19 02:58:25 EST 2007

Dear Veni and all,

Thank you for your efforts to recollect what really happened rather than
what some of people in this list want to say it happened.

However, I noticed there are some misunderstandings in your emails and
let me correct some of your comments. Again, if you think I have another
misunderstanding on what really happened in the CS and ICANN, please
feel free to correct me.

I decided not to participate in this debate back in 2004 after I made hard
efforts to keep the name of the caucus. As some of you may remember,
the name of the very caucus was for a while "Global ICT Governance caucus"
until governments in the WSIS came up with the idea of WGIG.

> P.S. It is another issue, that if it wasn't for ICANN, ISOC, and a
> few other organizations to provide experts to these and other groups,
> the discussion would have been completely political, and with no
> technical ground whatsoever.

That's another view.

> As you probably recollect, the technical community (engineers,
> RFC-writers, etc.) have always been very critical about the way the
> WSIS goes. If you also remember, the Civil Society (CS) had also been
> a strange phenomenon around the WSIS. The Internet Governance caucus
> was created, if I am not mistaken, by Y J Park; who - with Milton -

I am not sure why you think creation of Internet Governance was strange.

During the PrepComII WSIS in Feb. 2003, I submitted a proposal to create
Internet Governance Caucus after my very interesting experiences in Asia
regional meetings in Tokyo in Jan. 2003 and in Beirut Feb. 2003. I learned
Wolfgang also submitted the same proposal to Renata and that's how we
were asked to be co-whatever position.

> didn't manage to achieve any success with the NCDNHC at ICANN in the
> beginning (1999 - 2000). Today YJ is a student at the same university

Yes, I have to admit I could not succeed to persuade decision-makers
in the ICANN to accept the concept of "multilingual domain names" when
I was working for MINC (2000 - early 2002) as deputy and later acting CEO.
Until recently, it was "taboo" to bring up the concept of multinlingual domain
names at ICANN meetings.

The first presentation on multilingual domain names in front of GAC/ICANN
was made in 2000 when Karen Rose, the current ISOC director for Education
was US GAC rep and Paul Towmey, the CEO of ICANN was the chairman
of GAC. However, Paul made it clear such presentation could not even be
recognized as a formal agenda therefore, MINC's presentation needed to be
arranged after GAC meeting and no record for such presentation at all.

However, I think I can get some credit of creating WG-Review process when
I was with NCDNHC (1999 - early 2002). It was the first review process of the
DNSO and ICANN. Like back then Internet Governance Caucus in 2003, nobody
wanted to create any process how ICANN could be more improved at all. Despite
all hurdles and attacks, it was "successfully" created and the WG-review report
was sent to the ICANN board!

http://www.dnso.org/wgroups/wg-review/wgreview-history.html
http://www.dnso.org/clubpublic/nc-review/Arc00/mail2.html
http://www.dnso.org/wgroups/wg-review/Arc02/mail2.html

You can say another failure part came along after the report was sent to the
Board. No response from the ICANN board to the report except two board
members' recognition, Karl Auerbach and Sang Hyun Kyong. Therefore no
discussion on review at all until Stuart Lynn, CEO of ICANN started ICANN
Reform in 2002.

> Milton is teaching.

In the history of early stage of Internet Governance Caucus, Milton has
nothing to do with it.

> The Caucus was created for a number of reasons,
> but we should not forget that among them it was giving access to the
> CS Bureau to the WSIS.

Yes, for a number of reasons... You can find those reasons from my first
intervention during the plenary of governments in Feb. 2003 which is now
attached. After presenting this position, I was accused of destroying ICANN
by some people who later became coordinators of this caucus.

1. Root-server issues
2. ccTLD issues
3. Multilingual issues
4. Individual users issues

> And the word "Bureau" was giving some extra
> power; at least in the view of some. You may have been there at that
> time - I just don't remember. But I remember well the establishment
> of another of the groups - the European Caucus, which ended up as
> European - North American one; Hans Klein (then with CPSR) was one of
> the active people there. Robert Guerra was the other one; at some
> point the only one.

Lastly, I have had some problems in receiving IGC emailIs. I would like to ask
Parminder to correct my email reception, too.

When I asked Hans Klein to create IGC list back in March 2003, I provided
yjpark at myepark.com (which was no web-based emails) for subscription and
later I also subcribed to this list with yjpark at syr.edu(web-based emails) to
have more interactive sessions after Sept. 2003. I noticed somehow I started
to get IGC emails only to syr.edu acccount not my previous one since sometime
2004 or 2005.

Now I want to use yjpark21 at gmail.com for this list since I am not going to
be associated with syr.edu any more as soon as I finish my dissertation on
ccTLDs.

Thank you,
YJ
     governance at lists.cpsr.org