Alternative DNS systems and net neutrality - Was: Re: [governance] DNSsec and allternative DNS system

Meryem Marzouki marzouki at ras.eu.org
Sun Nov 18 18:16:00 EST 2007

Lee,

Thanks for this clarification.
Regarding the "confiscatory nature" of the diffusion process,
although I confess I live in France only since 1986, i.e. after the
Minitel distribution started, I really don't remember people having
no choice but using the Minitel. I think you had rather to choose,
either the Minitel or the phone books, or one of the phone books
(yellow or white pages, don't remember). Also, since we're going into
the details, there have been different generations of the Minitel
equipment, and most probably only version 1 was entirely free, while
further versions were leased for a very, very small amount of money
(like were leased more trendy fixed telephones, only the real museum
ones being given for free). In any case, I'm not sure this is more of
a "confiscatory" nature than, say, some web2.0 (or even older)
applications economic models:)
As for the figures, after some googling I've found a Wired article
from April 2001, speaking of $4.1 million spent by France Telecom in
2000 trying to promote the Minitel in the US (http://www.wired.com/
science/discoveries/news/2001/04/42943)?

Meryem

     governance at lists.cpsr.org