Alternative DNS systems and net neutrality - Was: Re: [governance] DNSsec and allternative DNS system

Veni Markovski veni at veni.com
Sun Nov 18 03:16:08 EST 2007

Karls and all,
I understand the (sad) history you have had with ICANN. But, to go on
forever with it, makes you something of a (sad) historian, yes?
Let me give you a similar example: I voted in favour of the creation
of a certain TLD (so did Joi Ito; check his blog for the last entry
where he describes that or mine for more detailed explanation). I was
in the minority. That, however sad for me, didn't turn me into a (sad)
historian, pointing out how "unfair" life is.

Anycast started without ICANN you say? I don't know if it did or it
didn't, but do you think it is a good thing, that's the question. As
whether it is dspite or thanks to? I am sure that in some cases it is
thanks to, and for sure one of the places where people discuss root
servers' issues is... ICANN meetings.

You say the board would not hear you. But what is the problem here,
since you have the whole ICANN listening to you? If you couldn't
persuade the board (none of them?), then perhaps this might have been
your error? Just might be. Or you eliminate this possibility by
default?

Lastly, as some already said it; the really important issues about the
Internet users are not the ones ICANN deals with. They are important
for a very small group of people, and if you see who are in this
group, you can aslo respond to the question "why".

Best,
Veni

     governance at lists.cpsr.org