Alternative DNS systems and net neutrality - Was: Re: [governance] DNSsec and allternative DNS system

Suresh Ramasubramanian suresh at hserus.net
Sat Nov 17 20:35:24 EST 2007

Alejandro Pisanty wrote:

> Now, is it possible to move away from discussing ICANN to some other
> governance issues? What we witnessed in the most recent IGF session is,

The trouble with an "elephant in the room" as several people have described
ICANN is that it leads to a total loss of perspective, at the expense of
other issues, of equal or even greater concern and relevance.

Some of the NGOs might even find the usual catch phrases related to
deprivation, haves and have-nots, north - south etc applicable.

In fact, on the int gov scene, I would call this the ICANN divide.  Somewhat
like the digital divide, only this is the opportunity cost of "energy, time
etc spent generating hot air on icann v/s on other issues".

The same equation certainly applies for real work rather than mere rhetoric,
of course .. but there's precious little of it going on, so ..

	srs

     governance at lists.cpsr.org