[governance] non-ICANN TLDs (was Re: DNSsec..)

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Sat Nov 17 09:02:16 EST 2007

Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer at internatif.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 14, 2007 at 04:24:43PM -0800,
>  Karl Auerbach <karl at cavebear.com> wrote
>  a message of 116 lines which said:
>
> > Then there is the broader view of consistency, a view that I hold:
> > That different root systems may offer different TLDs, but that where
> > a TLD name is in common (e.g. .net or .org or .com, etc) that it has
> > precisely the same contents, i.e. the delegation is the same.
>
> That's a reasonable thing to do but you never provided a way to
> implement it. At the present time, there are two different ".home" and
> two different ".mp3" in wide use in various alternative roots. Who
> will say which one is to be dropped? And how will it enforce it?

I would suggest that when someone wants to introduce a new TLD they
can choose a name that is not already in use (either as an ICANN
accepted domain name, or in a proposal that someone else has submitted
to ICANN, or in the alternative roots community) and then register the
TLD name as a trademark with the trademark offices of one or more
countries (the more countries the better), then make it clear that
they'll sue anyone else offering a different TLD with the same name.

Greetings,
Norbert.

--
Norbert Bollow <nb at bollow.ch>                      http://Norbert.ch