[governance] Re: Alternative DNS systems and net neutrality

Veni Markovski veni at veni.com
Sat Nov 17 07:14:25 EST 2007

At 13:13 11/16/2007  -0800, you wrote:
>Whatever, Veni.  This is just rhetorical jousting.

I am sorry to hear you say that.

>seriously, regardless of your personal doubts.  You can try to minimize
>their numbers and their relative importance, but when you do that you will

I didn't try to minimize the numbers. I was asking a question "how
many", not "how little". Therfore the following conclusions of yours
are also incorrect.

>just infuriate them more.  No one likes to be marginalized by those in
>power.  It just doesn't feel "fair" -- rather, it feels like the heavy hand
>of power.
>And excuse me, how is ICANN "responsible for" only a "small segment of the
>Internet"??  Isn't ICANN responsible for the *entire DNS* over the *entire
>Internet*?

Is the DNS the whole Internet? I think the DNS is a small part of it.
There are many more, and more relevant, parts of the Internet that
makes it run today.

>Everyone and everything on the Internet uses the DNS, because
>DNS is in effect the main gatekeeper to any content or applications on the
>net (until Google takes over everything).

Which may very well happen soon, and then the domain names will lose
its value.

>Perhaps the difference of opinion here derives from the fact that you still
>want to talk in terms of technical function and run away from political
>policy issues.

This is exactly what I am not running away from.

>it becomes clear that there is justified disagreement about how well the
>system works.

the fact that there's a disagreement does not make the system NOT
working. It just makes an argument HOW it is working. Not IF it is working.

>Face it, ICANN has become

you make a statement, but there's no evidence to support it.

>transmission.  Politically speaking, the current root system is not working
>for those not in power.

Can you define "power" here?

>actually see it.  But be realistic: elephants are too big to sweep under
>the rug.

I could accept that, if
a) there was indeed an elephant in the room, which you still have not
convinced me into believing, and
b) you are sure there's no enough big rug ;)

veni

     governance at lists.cpsr.org