Alternative DNS systems and net neutrality - Was: Re: [governance] DNSsec and allternative DNS system

Veni Markovski veni at veni.com
Fri Nov 16 05:49:45 EST 2007

Meryem,
While I am not a technical expert, and would not go into discussion on
that level, I'd strongly argue from a policy maker's perspective
against multiple roots, multiple DNS, where every country or may be
even more - every group, or every individual (as Karl would probably
add) have their own root, domains, IP address issuing, etc. Why?

There are several concerns:

1. The current model is working. The Russian saying is "if it is
working, don't touch it". It is not an accident that this is a Russian
saying. Think about it.
2. While some people, mainly driven from theoretical experience, say
that "there is a better model" and advice to build it on the ground of
the experience built during the ICANN era, I have not seen a software
that will show us how the "new" model will work. Something like a
cover version of a softwae game (sorry, forgot its name) where one
starts asd a mayor and has to build a whole city. And every move makes
different things happening. Do we really want to move into a new
model, without knowing what is going to happen?
3. Law and law-enforcement problems
4. Spam, phishing, pharming and everything else that the IGF doesn't
really want to address seriously (and there are many arguments why it
doesn't)

I am not defending ICANN for the sake of defending it. I speak based
on my own experience in creating an internet-friendly environment in a
whole country. Those of you who have been at the Best Practices Forum
on Wednesday have heard what a vital model it is, and how it provides
both economic growth and protects the human rights. I wish we could
see more countries like Bulgaria vis-à-vis the governance of the
Internet.

While I don't have anything against discussing theoretical models, the
attempts to push forward one or another model built on theories I find
extremly dangerous. When we were building our IG model in Bulgaria, we
had everyone on the rouns table. Noone was excluded, and each opinion
was taken into account. The most difficult part - making sure the
government in 1999 understood what are the benefits. Since then we
have now third government in a row, which understands better the way
the Internet works. ISOC-Bulgaria did a lot to educate our government.
Sometimes I wish we have done more of this education on an
international level.

So, to wrap up the discussion - before we push things for a change,
let us see where is this change leading us, and - more importantly -
what are the motives behind the proposed changes. Only then we'll be
able to reach to the answer of the question "who is to benefit of
that?".

That is how we made our model working in Bulgaria, and I don't think
we should eliminate this practical experience just because someone may
not like the fact that it means writing off their theories.

Best,
Veni
Via blackberry

     governance at lists.cpsr.org