Alternative DNS systems and net neutrality - Was: Re: [governance] DNSsec and allternative DNS system

Thomas Narten narten at us.ibm.com
Thu Nov 15 20:19:08 EST 2007

Karl Auerbach <karl at cavebear.com> writes:

> Let's go back to my premise - consistency.  Competing DNS roots that
> are consistent will lead to minimal degrees of user surprise.

If they are consistent, in effect, there is only a single root.

> Are you surprised when you go into a super market and it has some
> extra boutique products on its shelves in addition to all of the
> standard, expected brands?  No, you aren't.  So why should users be
> surprised when they find that through a competing root they get the
> familiar .com, .net, .org, .arpa, .biz, .info and the 250 ccTLDs
> plus a few new boutique TLDs?

The only case that matters, is when they things are inconsistent --
what one user sees differs from what another one sees. Or what works
in one place, doesn't work the same way in another. And without
someone or something resolving disputes -- deciding who gets to own
".ewe", there will be problems for users.

A more apt supermarket analogy would be to go into a supermarket, buy
the package labeled "applepie.mytld", but later find that what was in
the package wasn't what you expected. And when you go to a different
supermarket, and see a package with the exact same label, it's yet
again something different.

I suspect that most consumers would not find shopping in such an
environment very pleasant.

Thomas
     governance at lists.cpsr.org