April fool's day? Was Re: [governance] APC Statement as IGF II closes

Meryem Marzouki marzouki at ras.eu.org
Thu Nov 15 11:18:05 EST 2007

Le 15 nov. 07 à 16:37, Suresh Ramasubramanian a écrit :

> Meryem Marzouki wrote:
>
>> Is APC also seriously proposing same thing for harmul content? i.e. a
>
> To some extent, this is expressed in the Council of Europe's
> Convention of
> Cybercrime, with an additional protocol concerning criminalization
> fo acts
> of a racist and xenophobic nature committed through computer systems.
>
> Not all countries are party to this of course - the USA, while a
> signatory
> to the Convention on Cybercrime, has specifically opted out of
> signing this
> additional protocol.

Right, and this is because racist and xenophobic content is
considered illegal in most CoE countries and more generally speaking
in signatory countries.
But the issue with harmful content is not the differences among
national legislations, but rather content that is felt harmful for
some categories of people (e.g. children) within a same jurisdiction.

> What Karen touches on goes a bit deeper

I know, but this needed the reformulation that she acknowledged. The
first formulation is really dangerous, from my experience - both as
academic and NGO rep. - for more than 10 years, at National (French),
European Union, Council of Europe, and UN (WSIS) levels.

Best,
     governance at lists.cpsr.org