[governance] IGP Alert: "Net Neutrality as Global Principle for Internet Governance"

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Tue Nov 13 10:26:07 EST 2007

Suresh Ramasubramanian <suresh at hserus.net> wrote:

> > The statement "There are no common carrier obligations for email
> > traffic" sounds like a pretty much indefensible position to me.  Among
>
> It is a simple statement of fact, Norbert. And it is backed by enough
> rulings and laws behind it that allow ISPs to make good faith filtering
> efforts.

I'm not objecting to good faith filtering efforts.

I'm just objecting to the blanket statement that there are _no_
relevant common carrier obligations.

And I've tried to draw attention to a specific way in which current
good faith filtering efforts have bad side-effects (which I would
classify as "net neutrality violations", but I wouldn't mind using
some other word(s) to describe the issue if a better term exists),
in the hope that good faith efforts would be undertaken aimed at
improving the methods used in those good faith filtering efforts.

> so I am kind of amused at this naïvetë

Suresh, since you have chosen to ridicule me instead of trying to
engage in a constructive conversation, this dialogue ends here.

Greetings,
Norbert.

--
Norbert Bollow <nb at bollow.ch>                      http://Norbert.ch