[governance] Has the technical community failed wrt IPv6' .... Governance Frameworks for Critical Internet Resources'

Suresh Ramasubramanian suresh at hserus.net
Tue Nov 13 09:25:01 EST 2007

Thomas Narten wrote:

> I suspect this is completely untrue -- there just aren't /8s lying
> around that are easily reclaimable! E.g., see:

/8s no but smaller certainly - multiple /16s belonging to companies that
went bust and never bothered to return their IP space are dime a dozen.

Reclaiming those isn't the issue right now, it is reclaiming tinier
netblocks and tightening up IP address usage and allocation policies.  That,
and letting providers roll out v6 to the customer. Most of the v6 prefixes
so far are going to be v6 transit infrastructure - not all that many people
opting for native v6 connectivity so far

	srs

     governance at lists.cpsr.org