[governance] Things are not black or white (was Re: IGP Alert)

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Tue Nov 13 02:56:59 EST 2007

Vittorio Bertola <vb at bertola.eu> wrote:

> I think that, in our collective discussion, we've abundantly shown that
> things are not black or white, and any attempt to design a single and
> simple principle is immediately subject to a flood of desirable exceptions.

Yes - and I would suggest that this results to a significant extent
from not having made it a design goal in the development of internet
technology to have the technological framework empower users as much
as possible to distinguish reliably between those peers who act in
an acceptable manner and those who don't.

I think that we should insist that from now on, in the design of
technology standards (and most importantly when adoption/non-adoption
decisions for proposed standards are made) concerns regarding the
desirability of the likely socioeconomic effects of technology
proposals should be significantly considered -- with the existence
of simple policy principles that have a great domain of validity
being among the desiderata.

Greetings,
Norbert.

--