[governance] Universal, Flexible, Open and Equitable as Global Principles for Internet Governance

Lee McKnight lmcknigh at syr.edu
Sun Nov 11 20:57:50 EST 2007

Hi,

Just jumping back into the list after travel to Brazil, etc.

There is an extensive literature on universal service/universal access,
including Milton's book own book on Universal Service. Likewise open
access/open systems is for example a topic discussed by the digital
standards crowd today pre-IGF as well as in several decades of research,
whether on open systems, open source, open access, etc. Open is not a
narrowly defined term, but we generally know the difference between open
and closed for example.

So no I don't claim these are clear and simple terms, which don't need
to be elaborated upon more precisely in one or another context.

I just claim that global multistakeholder consensus can be, in fact has
already been reached at regional level, on their merits as principles
that civil society, business, government, the technical community etc
can all subscribe to.

That's not muddy at all, I am clearly stating as have multistakeholders
ie Caribbean governments, civil society groups, business, as well as
regional reps of global orgs such as ICANN and ITU which have been
participating in the regional deliberations, that universal, open,
flexible and equitable are principles on Internet governance that are
both worthy of support, and on which we have a realistic chance of
reaching multistakeholder consensus.

Lee

Prof. Lee W. McKnight
School of Information Studies
Syracuse University
+1-315-443-6891office
+1-315-278-4392 mobile
On Nov 11, 2007 12:49 PM, Milton L Mueller <mueller at syr.edu> wrote:
> "Universal, flexible, open and equitable" are less precise and more
prone to religious quibbling than the concept of net neutrality. This is
just a string of adjectives.

> A significant literature on the NN topic has developed and we have an
increasingly clear concept of its implications. Lee is just muddying the
water.

I thought it was the telcos who, by trying to expropriate the term Net
Neutrality" to represent their own position who were muddying the
water?

--
Cheers,

McTim