[governance] Has the technical community failed wrt IPv6' .... Governance Frameworks for Critical Internet Resources'

Karl Auerbach karl at cavebear.com
Sun Nov 11 15:50:46 EST 2007

McTim wrote:
> On Nov 7, 2007 11:00 PM, Ian Peter <ian.peter at ianpeter.com> wrote:
>> Well, let me be radical about this and suggest that IPv6 has already failed
>> and will never be rolled out.
>
> Tell that to the 1000+ networks that are already announcing IPv6 prefixes!

Sorry for taking so long to get back on this - it's an important point
you make.

I like IPv6.  In fact this Wednesday my company is doing a technical
seminar on the current state, and practical use of, network management
tools in v6 networks.

But I don't see the driving force to compel IPv6.  Yes, V4 addresses are
getting scarcer.

But for each of those 1000+ nets that you say are announcing v6 prefixes
- how many are doing *only* v6 prefixes and not also announcing v4
prefixes that lead to exactly the same computers?

In other words, I don't see new users adopting v6 alone.  These new
users will need to talk to the vast legacy world of v4 machines.
Consequently users of of v6 will find it necessary to also run v4.

In other words, I see two parallel paths for IPv6 to grow:

    - Legacy users of IPv4 who add IPv6 capabilities.  These people will
retain IPv4 so they can continue to talk to the existing IPv4 world.
This will put no strain on the existing IPv4 pool.

    - New users who chose to use IPv6.  These people will need to
acquire IPv4 capabilities so that they can talk to the existing IPv4
world.  These latter users will tend to require, block for block, an
IPv4 allocation for every IPv6 allocation.  And I suspect it would be
unusual for sites to go public space for IPv6 but private, NAT'ed space
for IPv4.

The root of the problem, as I perceive it, is that IPv6 and IPv4 create
parallel but disjoint internets.  Connectivity between them will be via
a relatively few application level gateways (ALGs) - email relays, web
proxies, SIP (VoIP) proxies and call gateways, etc.

 From the point of view of internet governance, these interconnection
points become internet versions of the Panama, Suez, and the Straits of
Malacca - points through which control can be multiplied.  (Yes, people
can deploy new ALGs between the v4 and v6 worlds, which does diminish my
analogy somewhat.)

Have fun in Rio!

		--karl--

     governance at lists.cpsr.org