[governance] Re: spam policy (was: "Net Neutrality ...)

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at internatif.org
Sat Nov 10 15:57:14 EST 2007

On Fri, Nov 09, 2007 at 01:25:34AM -0500,
 Lee McKnight <lmcknigh at syr.edu> wrote
 a message of 80 lines which said:

>  I guess to be logically consistent we should all shut down our spam
> filters so we're net neutral.

That's a very twisted way of representing the opinions of other
people. You write an important word: "OUR spam filters". I have spam
filters, like anyone. But I choosed them and I control them, that's
the big difference with the stuff put by a provider (and not
documented, and about which the user support never reply).

You make the same error as Milton Mueller when, to criticize people
who complain against traffic engineering and bandwidth shaping, said
"Do you think that IETF should not have invented diffserv?" diffserv,
like spam filters, is a tool. The point is not wether the tool is Good
or Evil but who controls it.
     governance at lists.cpsr.org