[governance] spam policy (was: "Net Neutrality ...)

Dan Krimm dan at musicunbound.com
Fri Nov 9 00:54:01 EST 2007

I don't know whose position that is, but it's not mine.  :-)

I just want to make sure I am in control of my own spam filtering settings,
so that others cannot decide to set the filter too strong to filter out
messages that are not in fact spam.

I was confused by the bounce messages I received.  At first I thought my
own email host was running a spam filter other than the ones they provide
for my direct control, and that would have been disconcerting to say the
least.

But I've figured out where I was getting those messages from: it seems to
be someone on this list with an account at the National Telecommunication
Regulatory Authority in Egypt, which is running the Antigen virus/spam
blocking application from Microsoft (which I checked out and I see that its
spam functions are reported as being a little crude).  Simply mentioning an
offensive keyword seems to have bounced the messages and purged them from
that person's reception, so this person has not received two of my posts
(and I suspect one or more of Vittorio's as well), though they can probably
see those messages on the listserv web site if they care to login and look.

In this case, that individual is prevented from even *discussing* policy
surrounding the offensive topic, above and beyond engaging in the offensive
conduct itself (i.e., advertising or transmitting offensive material).
Seems a little extreme from my western perspective, but perhaps this makes
total sense in Egypt.  Who am I to criticize?

In any case, I am not suggesting that spam filtering is directly related to
net neutrality (that's why I changed the subject header -- this is a
tangential thread).  In particular, as long as such filtering is really
happening "at the edges" then it has nothing to do with intermediate
"pipes" data transport and everything to do with "edges" end-user control
(allowing a broad definition of edge and end-user to include whole
organizations, etc.).

No one is suggesting turning off the filters, but rather providing
end-users full knowledge and control over such filtering.  "Power to the
edges" is a principle that spans both net neutrality and spam filtering.

Best,
Dan

     governance at lists.cpsr.org