[governance] IGP Alert: "Net Neutrality as Global Principle for Internet Governance"

Karl Auerbach karl at cavebear.com
Thu Nov 8 17:51:23 EST 2007

Dan Krimm wrote:
> I would only add to this that spam filters are best implemented with end
> users being given maximum control over their settings.

Which, in turn, means that users must have a means to know what filters
are in effect.

This inability to know what is being filtered has caused significant
concern and problems here in the US.

Many companies that do filtering, whether in software in the user's
machine or as something inserted the network path, are often loath to
disclose the filters - they consider them to be highly proprietary
information.

Another potential principle of internet governance:  Every user has the
right to know whether their traffic is being filtered and, if so, what
those filters are.

		--karl--
     governance at lists.cpsr.org