[governance] Has the technical community failed wrt IPv6' .... Governance Frameworks for Critical Internet Resources'

Ian Peter ian.peter at ianpeter.com
Wed Nov 7 15:00:31 EST 2007

Well, let me be radical about this and suggest that IPv6 has already failed
and will never be rolled out. What's more, it won't really matter (except to
a few embarrassed people and organizations).

IPv6 belongs to the year 1995. That’s the year that a piece of software
called Windows 1995 was rolled out. It didn't even include a browser because
Microsoft hadn't released Internet Explorer yet. The web probably had only
about one million users.

The world has changed since then and it's just possible that a more creative
way of expanding the number pool might be available to us now that wasn't
thought about then. It is also possible that we are dealing with an adoption
problem of a scale not anticipated at the time (particularly given the long
unanticipated lead time in rollout).

If it's consumers who are supposed to lead the adoption of IPv6, I suggest
it will never succeed. As everyone agrees, there is no business case. NO
business case, no rollout, no IPv6. That's the laws of the universe.

I will also say it doesn’t matter - because the problem is not non-adoption
of IPv6, as we have begun to believe - it's that numbers are supposed to run
out and probably will unless something changes.

If we think through a decent mitigation strategy there are a number of
things that can be done to ensure that doesn't happen for another 20 years
or more. That gives time for a more elegant approach to number pool
expansion than IPv6 to emerge.

To their credit, both Geoff Huston and Randy Bush have begun to think about
these alternative mitigation strategies - although both seem to still cling
at times to the hope that the laws of markets and the laws of human
behaviour will suddenly change and IPv6 will suddenly be adopted but a lot
later than first expected. (That's sometimes called denial). The last great
hope seems to be that when the last number runs out someone (probably in an
underdeveloped country) will scream and we will all change. Yeah, right
on....

Sorry to rain on the parade, but really the answer to the number pool
expansion problem requires us to be realistic rather than hopeful, and to be
prepared to be flexible with approaches rather than clinging to an approach
that hasn't worked.

So let me say it again - the problem is not that people are not adopting
IPv6. The problem is that we have not yet arrived at a strategy for dealing
with number pool expansion that is acceptable to all major stakeholders and
is scaleable to future needs. We need a major rethink - and I really don't
think it will be a difficult problem to solve if we put our efforts into
alternative approaches rather than "flogging a dead horse".

But back to Guru's question about what this has to do with governance. Quite
a lot. Neither IGF in it's current state or current "governance"
institutions of a technical nature are adequate as they exist now to deal
with this problem without further levels of involvement (that's
self-evident). Structural change is probably necessary to ensure the levels
of talent and skills and political and business impact necessary to deal
with this and a host of other (probably more pressing) issues.

WSIS has given us some good principles but little in the way of suitable
structural suggestions. It seems to me that a compelling question is how do
we get some decent structural analysis underway leading to some
recommendations for what might emerge from IGF.

Ian Peter
(Mar Ipanema Hotel and looking forward to a constructive dialogue at IGF!)