[governance] IGP Alert: "Net Neutrality as Global Principle for Internet Governance"

Danny Butt db at dannybutt.net
Wed Nov 7 06:30:07 EST 2007

While I support many aspects of Milton et. al's paper, just to add a
different point of view - net neutrality draws upon the history of
common carriage in transportation and interpersonal communication;
while the dominant business model for financing next generation
internet networks (e.g. not those funded by telcos with historically
government supported investment)  is that of audiovisual media, which
is a different thing altogether.

The reason for this shift is because the Internet now carries video
traffic more than anything else. According to Cisco, Internet video
traffic in 2006 was more than the amount of traffic crossing the U.S.
Internet backbone in 2000.

<http://www.cisco.com/application/pdf/en/us/guest/netsol/ns537/c654/
cdccont_0900aecd806a81a7.pdf>

It's easy to clamour for Net Neutrality, but harder to think about
what a sustainable ISP industry might look like in this environment.
We already see ISPs (e.g. bigpond in Australia) setting data caps
while hosting video from "content partners" which doesn't count
against a cap. This is a form of discrimination, variations on which
will only increase as carriers attempt to deal with a radically
increased traffic load from audiovisual media for which a telco
business model is not well aligned.

In the media world, distributors fight for exclusive territorial
rights for high-value content. It's on the basis of these pre-sales
that the content gets funded in the first place. I don't think that
the media companies are doing a great job of engaging with the
Internet environment, but it's not likely that the entire business
model for film production is going to change because technology
policy analysts would like to see an open access model in place. When
the paper says "Given the ease with which the Internet’s architecture
facilitates global connectivity, there is no reason why a right to
access Internet resources should end
at a country’s borders" it is saying to the media and entertainment
industries "Your business model has no reason to exist." That's an
ideological debate that's not really worth getting into, but I'd just
say that at a practical level it makes the paper's interest in
"aligning the WTO regime with the global Internet governance regime"
pretty unrealistic given that a key feature of the WTO has been
mostly about developed nations ability to enforce Intellectual
Property Regimes that support the ability of content owners to price
and content discriminate among nation-state markets. This has little
to do with local content exceptions anymore and everything to do with
the basic business model of screen production which is based on
territorial excludability.

I really support the anti-censorship and access to content agenda the
IGP paper attempts to articulate, but I'm not sure that doing it
though an iconoclastic interpretation of the Network Neutrality
discussion (which, like it or not, *is* dominated by US domestic
policy analysis) is really the best way to do that.

I also tire of the distinctly U.S. anti-governmental rhetoric in the
paper (governments are routinely "overbearing", interest in
government intervention is "unfortunate") when the US is in the WTO
pushing every nation to abandon government supported
telecommunications and media infrastructure in order to smooth the
access for its own industries, at the expense of industry development
in the rest of the world. A more agnostic approach to the role of
actors in Internet development would help a good deal.  If we're
interested in "the public", it's worth remembering that governments
(despite their many flaws) have been the only mechanism that can be
realistically be made subject to effective political influence in the
public interest.

Regards,

Danny

--