[governance] IGP Alert: "Net Neutrality as Global Principle for Internet Governance"

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Tue Nov 6 10:16:07 EST 2007

New Paper Released / Rio Forum Workshops

As a contribution to the 2007 UN Internet Governance Forum (IGF), IGP has released a new paper showing how network neutrality can serve as a globally applicable principle to guide Internet governance. The paper defines network neutrality as the right of Internet users to access content, services and applications on the Internet without interference from network operators or overbearing governments. It also encompasses the right of network operators to be reasonably free of liability for transmitting content and applications deemed illegal or undesirable by third parties. Those aspects of net neutrality are relevant in a growing number of countries and situations, as both public and private actors attempt to subject the Internet to more control.

An important part of the mandate of the Internet Governance Forum is to develop globally applicable public policy principles for Internet governance. The paper contends that the principle of network neutrality combines and integrates concepts of universal access to the resources connected to the Internet, freedom of expression, economic innovation, and free trade in digital products and services.

Read the paper:
<http://internetgovernance.org/pdf/NetNeutralityGlobalPrinciple.pdf>

*** IGF WORKSHOPS ***

IGP will be co-sponsoring two workshops at the IGF in Rio
de Janerio.

Mark your calendars because you can even participate
online!

"DNSSEC: Securing a Critical Internet Resource"
Meeting Room III, Hotel Windsor Barra
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
10:30 (Rio de Janeiro)/13:30 (Berlin)/7:30 (New
York)/20:30 (Beijing)
<http://www.internetgovernance.org/events.html#IGF2007DNSSECWorkshop_111406>

"Public Policy on the Internet"
Meeting Room VI, Hotel Windsor Barra
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
18:30 (Rio de Janeiro)/21:30 (Berlin)/15:30 (New
York)/4:30 next day (Beijing)
<http://internetgovernance.org/events.html#IGF2007PublicPolicyWorkshop_111406>

Internet Governance Project
http://internetgovernance.org