[governance] Re: Warning over Net address limits

Ian Peter ian.peter at ianpeter.com
Thu Nov 1 19:30:59 EDT 2007

-----Original Message-----
From: Stephane Bortzmeyer [mailto:bortzmeyer at internatif.org]

>I fail to see why it's the *technical* community failure. Technically,
>IPv6 works and do so for a long time. Its non-deployment is purely the
>result of economical, financial and political decisions (or lack of),
>without any technical issue involved.

Well there are a few technical issues, some of them raised here by Randy
Bush

http://www.nanog.org/mtg-0710/presentations/Bush-v6-op-reality.pdf

They mainly relate to co-existence with IPv4, implementation issues, and
multi-homing. There are also some substantial technical issues in enterprise
adoption. There are also incompatibilities with a lot of existing hardware
and of course existing systems.

If the upgrade was technically easy it might have been completed a decade
ago! Sure, there are economic, financial and political factors at work as
well, but...

I described it as a technical community failure, not a technical failure.
Vague term, I know, but the rollout has been a complete stuffup because the
implementation factors weren't thought through carefully. A classic "build
it and they will come" example.

I take the point that blaming the technical community doesn't help. However,
this does illustrate why the concept of technical only co-ordination is
problematic and how in governance we need to develop structures that can
assist in dealing with issues like this.

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
18:47

     governance at lists.cpsr.org