[governance] Re: IG questions that are not ICANN [was: Irony]

Suresh Ramasubramanian suresh at hserus.net
Fri Nov 30 22:43:18 EST 2007

Ian Peter wrote:

> Yep, I went to their workshop. Dutch regulator on spam said only
> countries
> he could rely on for co-operation were USA and Australia. Industry guy
> said
> worst phishers were known, and where they lived, but because of lack of
> cross-border co-operation they couldn't touch them.

What was unspoken is .. cross border cooperation is active in countries that
are already doing something about this. Countries that are not doing
something about this fall into two categories.

1. Don't know + lack capacity - several developing and LDC economies

2. Don't care - such as (say) the countries that quite a few of the phishers
and virus / worm writers are based in

Now, finding ways to engage the countries that don't know is fairly easy and
straightforward, especially when working through (or rather, in cooperation
with) international orgs like ITU, APEC, etc.

Finding ways to engage the countries that don't care?  Well now, there's the
rub.

	srs

     governance at lists.cpsr.org