[governance] Muti-stakeholder Group structure (some ideas)

Jeanette Hofmann jeanette at wzb.eu
Thu May 31 16:31:54 EDT 2007

I am sort of in between Bertrand's and Karl's position. Of course, it
would be good to define the magic formula for the composition of
multi-stakeholder structures in a way that questions such as balance and
fairness of representation are once and forever settled. And what
Bertrand describes sounds like a good model although I don't quite
understand the arithmetic. (If all UN organizations have access to UN
meetings and we add other couple of organizations such as ICANN, IETF
etc, we end up with a clear dominance of international organizations.)
At the same time, Bertrand's model looks like snapshot in time whose
time to live might be less than a year or two.

We don't know how long the caucus can credibly claim to represent civil
society organizations and individuals in this field. Certainly there are
  NGOs involved in the ICT area that have never even heard of the IGC.
And we all have seen people abandoning mailing lists and favor of other
ones. In this sense I share Karl's concern that we could ossify a
composition of clans or stakeholder groups that made sense only for a
short while.
jeanette

     governance at lists.cpsr.org